Wednesday, September 9

#16 Coloured Skin


Painting by Antiguan Artist Mark Brown, Transformation 2

The colour of copper.
The colour of brown.
The colour of chocolate.
But you colour me down.

Sensuous as the land,
stunning as the light,
I am ebony’s birth
through the still of the night
but my fingers you take
for my richness to hide
cursing it as folly
taking my pride
smearing your hate
independent of me
taking my life
cells dying in me...

I am
your living heritage
your genetic fame
protector of your being
still my dignity you claim
I try not to shout
although you are wrong
I know you only sing
what society has sung for so long;
I am all yours
though
you dislike what you see
failing to comprehend
You hurt you when you hurt me.

The colour of copper.
The colour of brown.
The colour of umber.
Yet you colour me down.

From ages since
cotton first grew
when the colour of milk
meant the privileged few
where the colour of tan
meant poverty’s brew
this concept
 is present in all races
not just unique to you...
My shades are all elegant
not only a few
I celebrate the diversity
of my glorious hues,
 where a positive remark
lends a negative shade
when you’re black but pretty
instead of black and beautiful all the same,
when someone who is
the same race as you
calls you inferior
forgetting they’re shaded too.
Even King Solomon,
suffered you see
when he wrote in his Songs
I am black but comely..

Colour me copper.
Colour me brown.
Colour me chocolate.
But don’t colour me down.

This burden has continued
because we accept
a lie that was forged out
of spite and death.
Is it because we were taught
from the crib to the door
That this God-given tone
was not given to princes
but to the poor?


My shades are all elegant

not only a few
I celebrate the diversity
of my glorious hues.
 

When you look at yourself,
what is it you see?
Do you see just a colour
or the heart that’s beneath?
Do you see the beauty
I’m certain I hold
Or do you just see a colour
offensive because of its tone?

How horrible it is
to cover a gem
that has no idea
of its brilliance outside and within…
If I could only convince you
of your beauty untold,
that mahogany smile
this caramel zone...
There are
emperors and empresses
who are represented through you
lying dormant inside
but you colour them down too!

I can only do so much
I’m just the skin that you wear
that will eventually rebel
from the core of your fear
of being just who you are
a sight to behold
wonderfully fashioned
of copper and gold

So...
silently I'll sit
No crying, no pleas;
waiting patiently for the day
my people choose to proudly wear me
 no doubt
till then I'll suffer
holding on
steadfastly,
trapped in the oppressed
Cages of your
scarred mentality...

The colour of copper.
The colour of brown.
The colour of chocolate.

I am beautiful.

But
You...

You
colour
me
    down…

 My Inspiration: A little girl on a bus ride home. (2014)
 


 Coloured Skin (3rd revision)

© KohylahPiper 2015



No comments :

Post a Comment

Join me on twitter...

Think on these things...Selah

Blogger Tips and TricksLatest Tips And TricksBlogger Tricks