Thursday, September 10

#18 Edel...

    
courtesy: T Al Nakib



Each day we saw you yet we never perceived your pain

Deep inside your chest, never laid to rest

Every face that you put on was nothing but a lie

Leaking through the mazes of your aching mind.



Enemies borne of you had pervaded your silent space

Damaging your last bricks of defense and its sinking base

Everyone thought they knew you but no one ever did

Laughter was your remedy to hide your anxious dread.



Early Monday morning, you shocked me to my core

Dying... they said when we'd spoken just three nights before?

Everyone was talking 'bout how you tried to take your life

Liquid poison burning your throat igniting a chemical fire



Eventually I got away, and rushed to the 4th floor

Death lurked in our ICU, lying damp behind closed doors

Every beep confused me, I guess I still couldn’t comprehend

Lifeless-like eyes gazed up, from the pale face of my friend.



Edel, I touched your hair, I prayed and held your hand

Deep inside I knew that life would not be the outcome

Every step I took after raced to get outside but

Long before I reached the exit, I had already begun to cry.



Each week that went by, your body seemed to fight

Death was held at bay, but only for a while

Eventually I saw you for the very last time

Lifting your eyes tubes and all, you actually tried to smile



Easing into the darkness you finally took your flight

Days of study flew by fast after, but you stayed on my mind

Ever so often, in moments not unlike this

Led by nostalgia's gentle arms I begin to reminisce



Explaining our own version of Roca’s Book. Number Two.

Details of farm life, first love, and first wife

Earnestly remembering your mother, who you lost too soon

Loving your son, the life of guajiros under the harvest moon



Each year since 2012, you resurface in my mind’s eye

Dark brown hair, those batty ears...your lopsided smile

Even though now, our whole class now leads separate lives

Long will we remember the sound of death's roar

So softly emptying reality’s truth onto the floor



Singular tragedy that only produced more

Unexpectedly opening a seemingly non-existent door

Icily ripping a father from a son

Claiming a life before it had really begun

Indignantly killed you in small pieces as led

Darkening our roll call...each time your name was mistakenly read…

Ever so often, just like this, I see your face and then 
slowly I begin to reminisce.

   
#WSPD2015


 My Inspiration: My Classmate
 





© KohylahPiper 2015















No comments :

Post a Comment

Join me on twitter...

Think on these things...Selah

Blogger Tips and TricksLatest Tips And TricksBlogger Tricks